Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day one

Hey everyone. Right now we have some downtime so let me give you a quick update..my dad and I left at 6am for lax and we got there around 7 and after baggage and security, it was 745. My flight didn't leave until 930 so I sat and read the whole time. Finally when we took off, it was a fifteen minute flight to santa barbra. I sat through security longer then my flight, haha, but the program wanted me to fly and paid for it so no complaints..the girl next me on our small plane, katie, is into the oceans too and being outdoors. She is a professional hiking and ski hiking guide in alaska, colorado and washington. We have many of the same interest so it was good talking to her. When I landed,i met a leader jim and another participant, thomas from san francisco who is going to university of michigan wolverines in the fall. We arrived at ucsb and I'm staying in a double dorm. For being a college dorm, its pretty big, much bigger then my future santa cruz one. There are two large desk, dresses with drawers, hangers and shelf space and the bed is surprisingly comfortable. Since thomas and I were the first kids here, we toured the whole campus and got lunch in a dining hall. Freshmen orientation is going on for ucsb so its packed and I actually saw a kid from my school, alex kim. After lunch, we walked down to the beach (3 min walk from my dorm) and we kicked the soccer ball around. Its like 65 degrees and overcast so I didn't go in the water but hopefully it'll clear up as the program goes on. After I walked back and took a nap then my roommate woke me up comeing in. his name is ajeeb and he is from lebanon. he doesn't talk much but hopefully he'll get more comfortable and start talking. Since I was up, I wandered around by myself and walked around the whole lagoon which is probably about three miles. There were trails and cliffs to climb so it was pretty fun. We have a meeting soon then diner so I'm going to be getting ready for that so see you guys later....
Ps..the dining hall food here is delicious and I'm on my phone so sorry if there are toys and errors. I'm trying my best to make sure I spell check and fix the typos

2 comments:

  1. lucky to be the first kiss at the program, looks like you and your roommate will get along great.

    what dorm are you staying in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mv-lr camuesa is what my room key says

    ReplyDelete